Senior Research Scientist
The Senior Research Scientist will support the product development roadmap while being mindful of the budget constraints and cost feasibility of new products.
They will be responsible for research activities related to:
- Product ideation.
- Evaluation of scientific literature pertaining to the function of the new conceived products, especially looking for activity in the nutrigenomic arena.
- Vet technologies that are presented to LFVN by inventors or suppliers that could become part of LFVN product portfolio.
- Summarize research on product functions.
- Assist in setting up studies on new or existing products, interpreting results, and generating study reports.
- Support final product or individual ingredient legal/regulatory/compliance scientific substantiation.
- And related duties as directed by the SVP of R&D and consistent with the core values, mission, and goals of the organization.
Assists in conceptualizing and designing new formulations to meet market/consumer needs by incorporating innovative, effective, safe ingredients, and technologies by applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts. Assists in gathering, evaluating and summarizing the product functions and the scientific information to back up the claims that will be made on the products (greater emphasis on human dietary supplements, functional foods and a lesser emphasis on skin care products). Interfaces with various departments and serves as internal consultant.
Works in a team environment and makes contributions that move products through stages of product development. Maintains R&D project timelines. Learns new technologies and ingredients by meeting with vendors. Maintains accurate information database and product related database.
Duties and Responsibilities
- New Product Ideation: Work on new formulation projects as directed by SVP of R&D. Evaluate scientific literature pertaining to the function of the new conceived products, especially looking for activity in the nutrigenomic arena. Summarize and provide scientifically balanced substantiation to back up marketing claims.
- New Product and Ingredient Ideas: Learn and vet new technologies and ingredients by meeting with vendors, reading trade journals, attending technical seminars and industry conferences, inventors, and field experts.
- Participation on Product Category Teams: Be a contributing member of the Product Category Teams and attend meetings. Follow up and complete assigned tasks. Provide input on technical perspective. Partner with marketing to provide unique stories based upon our ingredients and science.
- Maintain R&D Project Timelines: Keep all projects on schedule. Communicate any delays with Project Management or appropriate stake holders. Discuss with SVP of R&D and communicate to project team what acceptable risks may be taken to keep product on schedule.
- Formulation Testing and Documentation: Execute formulation testing as directed by SVP of R&D. Testing may include consumer acceptance, safety, and sensory acceptability. Oversee the completion of the R&D checklist per SOP for each product formulation/technical dossier. As needed, work with Regulatory to prepare required documents for product registrations in foreign markets. Build documentation to substantiate product claims.
- Product Substantiation: Gather scientific information and maintain dossier with all substantiation documents to support marketing and safety claims made on products.
- Product Questions: Assists in creating FAQs and responding to on-going products questions as requested by in-house departments. Train staff, distributors and others on new products and technologies. Is a technical expert, advocate for the company and provide educated responses to all internal and external customer inquiries.
- Education: May be called to provide scientific and technical assistance to Sales and Marketing teams, Distributors and Customers as directed by SVP of R&D. Prepare presentations, product flyers, and other digital media.
- Works at Corporate events (Elite Academies and Global Convention)
Education and Experience
- At least an PhD degree in a life sciences field. (e.g., biology, human nutrition, human physiology, exercise physiology, pharmacy, biochemistry, food science).
- 12 years’ minimum experience in the dietary supplement industry.
- Understanding of cell biology and genetics necessary.
Qualifications and Skills
- Proficiency in reading scientific research and summarizing findings.
- Good writing skills to write internal reports.
- Problem solving, critical thinking and trouble shooting.
- Advanced understanding of Research and Development processes.
- Accountable and delivers under pressure.
- Ability to understand and discuss risks with manager.
- Takes accountability for job assignments.
- Works independently but has the ability to work with some direction when needed and communicate decisions based on direction.
- Experience in written and verbal communication. Experience in seminar, and public presentations a plus.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work and collaborate inter-departmentally.
- Working knowledge of current internet technologies.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience working independently as well as in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential.
- Customer service and interpersonal skills essential.
- Good math skills.
Physical Demands And Working Conditions:
- Overtime may be required to meet project deadlines.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and mouse as well as other devices.
- Physically able to participate in meetings, presentations and trainings.
- Occasional (25%) exposure to a manufacturing facility.
- Some travel (25%) may be required for Corporate events, on-site evaluation purposes of vendors or manufacturers.
The preceding statements describe the general job responsibilities and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of tasks and skills required of the job incumbent. This job description may be reevaluated and/or modified at any time without notice to the incumbent.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Perks and Benefits
LifeVantage team members bring so much to the table. Here are just a few of the perks and benefits we give in return.
We’ve Got You Covered
Our benefits package is pretty sweet. Ask around. Our competitive offerings include: medical and dental insurance, group life and AD&D insurance, short and long-term disability, and a killer matching 401k program.
Out Of Office
We understand that life gets busy and sometimes you (and your family) need a break. That’s why we offer unlimited PTO for salaried positions. We also have paid holidays – lots of them. So go ahead, book that trip to Hawaii you’ve had your eye on.
Time to Stock Up
As a publicly traded company, we offer a voluntary Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP). The program allows employees to purchase company stock at a discount and actively contribute to short and long term financial goals.
This One’s On Us
We practice what we preach, especially when it comes to health. Every employee gets a gym membership subsidy as well as reimbursement for public transportation. We also throw in free lunches, swag, and monthly products for good measure.
A Job Well Done
Going above and beyond should be recognized and rewarded. That’s why we have a generous Annual Incentive program that ensures team members are not only rewarded annually, but every quarter as well.
Come On and Live It Up
You might have noticed our name on the front of Real Salt Lake jerseys. As their jersey-front sponsor, LifeVantage gets cool perks like free tickets and entry to events. Added bonus? Our office is just down the street from the Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy.